Newbury in Berkshire has been transformed with a new vibrant ‘streetscape’ retail scheme. The £60m town centre development included retail stores, together with a significant number of residential units. The hard landscaping has won Frosts a 2012 BALI Landscaping Award, to see the judges' comments and other awards click on link.
The scheme is being developed by the Shearer Property Group, backed by Standard Life Investments. As the Landscape contractor we added value to this £3m package by essential value engineering, which was required in order to get the scheme within budget. In order not to lose the initial design intent we work closely with the Project Team to keep things on track.
Work consists of the following:
• Detail design of all hard and soft landscaping including drainage to all parts of the site including surface drainage Aco drains (278 & 106 works).
• 3000m2 of granite paving.
• 6000m3 of fibre reinforced concrete.
• 3000m3 steel reinforced concrete.
• Several hundred metres of granite kerbs.
• Formwork to curved in situ wall and ramp.
• Access chambers, recessed service and duct covers.
• Bespoke gates and fencing.
• Installation of granite steps on all pedestrian areas.
• Bespoke stainless steel baulstrades to steps and ramps.
• Street furniture, including benches, litter bins, cycle hoops and door guards.
• Several hundred metres of Bespoke Aco drain in central street.
• Design development and installation of the tree pits in the hard landscape areas using tree sands, semi-mature tree planting and approx 1000m2 of ornamental planting.
• Topsoil and substrate development for each locations for planting, grass at ground level and planting and grass areas on podium levels.
• Develop and install automatic irrigation.
• Also detail design of five podium roofs including drainage (4000m2 Aquadrain), hard landscaping, walling, paving, drainage, steel & timber screens, steps, and general soft landscaping.
• 12 months maintenance.
Logistically a very difficult project in terms of day-to-day working due to site access and egress restrictions, coordination of other trades and generally working in very tight areas with minimal manoeuvrability.
- Shearer Property Group/Standard Life Investments
- 2010 - 2012
- Main Contractor
- Costain Ltd
- Landscape Architect
- Building Design Partnership and Frosts Landscape Construction Ltd