Frank Banfield Park
Frank Banfield Park in Hammersmith, London was a total restoration of the park. The objective of the contract works was to work closely with local residential groups and members of the local council to restore and enhance the park. The result is a vastly enhanced space for local residents and workers to enjoy, and feel proud of. The park offers benefits to everyone who utilises the space from the children’s play area to improved lighting and security with clearly defined boundaries. This project also saw Frosts achieve a national BALI award in 2009.
Capita Lovejoy were the Landscape Architects on this project and we worked closely with them in developing the design to its final format, helping with the materials specification to ensure the project was built as sustainable as possible as well as looking great.
• Lifting 1500m2 of paving, cleaning and re-laying.
• Approx 7200m3 of excavation of features around the park.
• Excavating trenches for lighting.
• Fibre optic lighting.
• 10,000m2 of re-modelling landscape areas.
• Importing 3500m3 topsoil.
• Re-profiling the park contours.
• 2000m2 of new path construction with a finished surface of Sureset Resin bound paving.
• Restoration of the boundary wall approx 160m long and reducing its width by 2m.
• Building a new curved wall.
• Lifting and re-laying York stone paving.
• Installing new furniture.
• Planting 50 semi-mature trees.
• Planting 7500 shrubs (3, 5, and 20 litre).
• Supply and lay turf.
• Allowance to remediate exposed ground areas by using clean capping & Terram.
The objective of the contract works had to be achieved whilst keeping the park open to the public, with the local residents being kept informed through leaflets, community meetings and information boards. The project was a complete success with regards to the construction, planting and the local residents, who were delighted by the end result.
Clink on this link to see the local press release.
- London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham/Goodman
- January - October 2008
- Main Contractor
- Bowmer and Kirkland
- Landscape Architect
- Capita Lovejoy